금요일, 5월 13, 2005

Rock Show: Wintergreen, 소규모아카시아밴드, 몽니


So it's Friday the Thirteenth, so you know what that means. No, not a movie marathon of everyone's favorite ice hockey mask clad madman. it means rockin' out! The last few shows I've been to have been shows where I know all the bands, so I figured tonight was as good a time as any to check out some new bands (or at least bands that are new to me). So away we go!


First up for the evening was Wintergreen. These guys and gals playes some inoffensive pop rock with occassional funk flourishes. In their set they played the following covers: "You Are So Beautiful," (you know the song...'You are so beautiful to me...can't you see?'), and the Cure's, "Love Song."


Wintergreen's singer. He kind of had that inoffensive Dave Matthews, everyman kind of voice.


The bassist kept winking and smiling in my general direction, but I couldn't tell if she was doing so for me, the chunky girl in front of me, or if she was just really stoked to be playing funk bass riffs.


Next up 소규모아카시아밴드 (Sogyomo Acacia Band). For the bulk of their set they were a two piece playing really mellow jams. The singer whispered her lyrics, and the guitarist laid down some mellow coffee shop style guitar work. The music kind of reminded me of some female French singer I had to listen to while in highschool (the name of which escapes me at this time).


For the last three songs of their set they dragged out a bassist and a drummer (introduced in Korean as "a bass friend" and a "drumming friend"). With the addition of these "friends," the band played some jazzy rock that had some 1950's rock style guitar work. Not a bad band overall, I'll probably check them out again, with my lady.


Monni were the most rocking band of the evening. They kind of had an "emo" vibe going on with some touches of Radiohead atmosphereics. They were really awesome.


They also had token female bassist. Unlike the first band she did not wink at me...or anyone for that matter. She kind of had the angry rocker chick face on at all times (like the drummer from Peterpan Complex).


The lead guitarist kind of had Korean Boy Band Hair, but he rocked the hell out of his axe.

And that's the end of that chapter. Now if you'll excuse me I have some Friday the 13th films that aren't exactly watching themselves. (creepy Friday The 13th / volvox maracca sound)*

* Editor's Note: That's a joke only my sister will / should get.