목요일, 7월 07, 2005

맛기차콘 (Mat Gi Cha Corn)

I've consumed a lot of fairly random stuff since arriving in Korea. Stuff that two years ago I would have scoffed at the very notion of: seaweed, various parts of squids, random vegetables that do not exist in America, things so spicy that flames shoot out of my ass during the digestion of it, and silk worm larvae, but rarely have I come across a food item that was utterly repulsive. Today I met my match. Join me in my foray into the world of Korean junk food.


This is 맛기차콘 (Mat Gi Cha Corn). It doesn't look too bad from the outside.


Opening the package and examining the snack reveals that it looks a bit like a Fruit Roll-up. It doesn't really have any distinct smell to it.


It might have looked a bit like a Fruit Roll-up, but the taste was not anything like a Fruit Roll-up, or the corn displayed on the wrapper. It kind of tasted like sugary cling wrap, and after eating it, the stuff sat in my guts for the remainder of the day. Avoid this crap at all costs!

Somehow my students eat this stuff on a daily basis and think it is delicious. I think I need to bring them real Fruit Roll-ups after my trip to America. This stuff is awful. And is it just me or does the name of this snack translate as "Taste Train Corn."